Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let's Talk Thanksgiving: part II

Hello my blog friends!

Sunday I went out for a run. My body has been crying for mercy after Ive been assaulting myself with Jillian Michaels, so I had to walk in spurts, but I really enjoyed myself regardless. I went 2.9 miles in 38 minutes. I was surprised that my time wasnt longer with the walking!.
Last night I did another round of Yoga Meltdown, and felt fantastic. Tomorrow, Chris will be home, so I get to head over to Fleet Feet and get my gait assessed and pick up some new kicks. THIS IS EXCITING! I dont think my form is proper, and I am anxious to get looked at. I need a local running buddy!
I mentioned in my previous post that I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. Im waaaay pumped up about this! I made my brine Sunday and have had it refrigerating.
Tomorrow morning, I pour the brine into a rubber maid tote, add a gallon of Ice water, and submerge the bird.
Both Chris and I have always eaten Stove Top stuffing on Thanksgiving. And while I have a soft spot in my heart for Stove Top, I wanted to try my hand at making my own stuffing. So today I cubed 2 loaves of Italian Bread, and set it away from little toddler hands, and German Shepherds nose, to get stale:
My "menu" consists of :

Shrimp Cocktail App
Stuffed Mushroom App
Pickles and olives App

Main Course:
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes (red potatoes)
Butternut Squash
Pureed Turnip ( side note: here in TN this is called Rutabaga...who knew??)
Green Bean Casserole
Candied sweet potatoes
Cranberry Sauce

Desserts will be:
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Log
Fudge

Im debating doing creamed onions....
And cant forget the egg nog!

Im calling this our New England tradition with a spin of Food Network influence, hahaha!
What are you traditions and meals like?

The other important piece of information Id like to talk about is the DailyMile Feed The Turkey!
Donate at least $1 which goes to St Jude's Children's Research Hospital and join the challenge! Run, Walk, Bike, or Swim 3.1 miles, and earn your Thanksgiving dinner calories! You will get entered to win prizes, and all proceeds go directly to a wonderful cause!! I myself will pop that bird in the oven, and hit the Dreadmill! I can fit in 30 minutes of my day around cooking the Thanksgiving meal :-) I am super woman, after all ;-)

Gobble Gobble my friends!!

3 comments:

  1. Cool, you're making your Thanksgiving dinner :) I joined the St Jude's Virtual Trot and I am excited to try my new treadmill out on Thanksgiving morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Sounds so good...usually I have my whole family at my house every year. This year we are going to my parents, its actually nice to have a break this year. While I enjoy cooking, its all the cleaning up before and after company that is such work!! Have fun on your Turkey run!

    ReplyDelete